Planning your own Bicycle Tour – Part 6 – First Route Map
Note: Revised 2/23/08 – Start Point moved to North Hero State Park from Rouses Point, NY
We have a route concept and rough idea where we would like to spend the nights, Chambly and Saint Jean sur Richelieu. Using the Lake Champlain Bikeways Maps and Cycling in Quebec, I have laid out a preliminary one way route using Google Maps. This first cut at a route has some problems:
1. Bike Paths don’t show on Google Maps or Garmin Mapsource Maps and about 30% of the route is on Bike Paths.
2. The Route starts in New York not in Vermont. I am not sure if this is a problem or just a change yet. Revised 2/23/08, starting point moved to North Hero State Park, No. Hero, VT.
3. I haven’t laid out riding distances yet so I don’t know how long the days will be.
4. I haven’t found places to spend the night yet and travel to them has to be added to the map.
5. I haven’t checked for Traffic (bridges and heavily trafficked roads), travel impediments such as stairs and Border Crossing Problems.
6. The Quebec bicycling maps are not very detailed, they expect your to follow the bike route signs, so the route is close but still a guess. I suspect this will not really be resolved but is not a major problem if the route signs are in place during the ride.
But the first pass looks pretty good because of available bike maps. This is an unusual luxury to have bicycling maps for the whole route.
But we have a preliminary route. The next step is to determine how long the day rides will be if we stop in Chambly and Saint Jean sur Richelieu.
First Route Map created using Google Maps