Hot Buy: Hip & Knee Saver -Pedal Extenders on eBay
The pain in my hip has had me thinking about KneeSavers/Pedal Extenders for quite a while but the price ($45 plus $3 s&h) always put me off. But I recently found them on eBay at Bicycle Pedal Extenders for $19 with free shipping.
My industrially sized sandals tend to rub against the crank arms and a little more pedal clearance should be a good thing? I’d love to hear from riders who have tried them.
Kneesaver claims the following Benefits:
If you are a cyclist suffering with hip, knee, ankle or foot pain due to the condition known as “Q Factor Syndrome” from large feet, wide hips or a toe-out condition, Kneesaver TM Pedal Extenders can relieve your pain or discomfort.
- Moves your pedals further apart, widening the Q Factor.
- Allows more toe-out, up to 45 degrees depending on what Kneesaver width you select.
- Precision made of stainless steel, weighing 3 ounces/pair (20 mm size)
- Available in 20, 25 and 30 mm widths (9/16″ threading) for road, mountain or recumbent bikes based on your individual need (feel free to e-mail or call if you are unsure which width you need)
- Available in 20 and 30 mm widths (1/2″ threading) for stationary bikes or trainers.
- Titanium Kneesavers available (1.6 ounces/pair) in 20 mm width only.
- Pedal Adapters also available that allow you to use your pedals and shoes on stationary bikes or spin trainers. (1/2″ male end, 9/16″ female end) – 20 mm width in steel only.
- Easy to install with a pedal wrench and crescent wrench, or vice grips in the case of Allen wrench pedal systems.
- Made in America by an American!
I am an EE and Q Factor has nothing to with knees or hips for me so I added some references at the end of this posting to clarify what Q-Factor is being referred to here.
I am not so sure about the KneeSaver claims but I know other Recumbent Riders who swear by them. Kneesavers sell for $45 + $3 s&h but they do come in more widths. So you might want to try these first at $19 total.
I just receive a very nice looking stainless steel set that I purchased on eBay for $19 with free shipping at Bicycle Pedal Extenders. The seller Steven Walther tells me they are made by machinists who are out of work because Boeing has moved their jobs out of the country.
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome Explains Q angle
Q- Factor and Knee Pain – Road Bike Review
KneeSavers Discussion Bike Forums – some real negatives discussed
Not many articles available