I have been a long distance self-contained bicycle tourist since the eary 80’s. For the last 10 years I have spent most of my time riding recumbents. I currently own and ride:
1. Longbikes Slipstream – LWB USS Recumbent
2. Ryan Vanguard – LWB USS Recumbent
3. Bike Friday Sat-R Day – Folding USS Travel Recumbent
4. BikeE FX – Off Road OSS Recumbent
5. Giant Cross – What I ride when not riding a recumbent or the bike I lend friends when they visit.
6. Giant Mountain – The bike I ride when the weather turns cold and I feel like riding New Hampshire and Maine’s dirt roads.
I have a strong bias toward USS LWB Recumbents. I know they aren’t popular but I think they are the ideal touring bike. They are stable, pain free, reliable and give a great view of what is around you.
I live in New Hampshire and have riden most of Maine, New Hampshire, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Soctia, Newfoundland, and Labrador on a recumbent.
I have also ridden in France, Italy, Slovenia, Sardinia, Corsica, and Croatia. Sardinia is world class cycling and Croatia is world class touring.
Visit my website at e-Bent.com for more on my tours.
Enjoy the Ride … Roland
In my non-biking life, I was trained as an Electrical Engineer and did graduate work in Applied Statistics. I also got an MBA for fun. I spent 38 years developing new products for a major US Corporation. I now work as a consult for companies developing Revenue Meters, Tatnic Group.